Resolved: This Is The Dawn I Discovered That David Foster Wallace Taught Paul Thomas Anderson

1. That this story starts when the other day I was just walking at Ayala and I saw Sheryl and Carol of Cebu Trivia Night. We exchanged our distant Hi's. Then I was walking to Rustans supermarket to look for the cat food Gayle of Cebu Trivia Night told me to be the cheapest. We didn't talk about meeting that day. All of a sudden when I was about to exit the grocery, there she was, Gayle. We talked.

That I walked her to her car, and then went to the PUJ terminal to ride my way home. When I reached the mall exit Jason of Cebu Trivia Night was there. We'd exchanged jokes. And then just about 5 minutes later, when I was inside the Mandaue PUJ, I saw Carol of Cebu Trivia Night again. We shared our "it's a small world" pleasantries. This was the time when we were hearing of Jethro of Cebu Trivia Night's passing away.

2. That this string of meetings got me into thinking of that Title Card and Character Introduction (not the actual beginning of the movie) of Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia where seemingly random people cross paths. 

3. That today I tried three times in two internet cafes to download the Title Card of Magnolia to my tablet to no avail, until I got to a third internet cafe at 12:00am and finally restreamed the whole sequence. After watching I realized there seemed to be a vivid imagery of the link between weightiest loneliness and TV. And I could never think of "TV=Sadness" without going back to my The David Foster Wallace. 

4. That after watching that sequence, I noticed that the "Partly Cloud, 82% chance of rain" Title Card in Magnolia looks straight out inspired by David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest, a novel where "Year of Adult Undergarment" and "Year of Glad" are recurring terms.

5. That from just some push of vibes, I just Googled "David Foster Wallace + P.T. Anderson" and got sent to The Paris Review's January 2015 article on how "In the early nineties, Paul Thomas Anderson found an inspirational teacher: David Foster Wallace."

THE END


Need to message me? Contact me here: BISAYAFILMS FACEBOOK PAGE

Popular Posts